23749 - HMPPS Senior Leadership Scheme
Functional Management – Job holders at this level provide leadership and management of the function and as Senior Management Team members, contribute to the strategic planning and implementation of corporate activities. Job holders will be fully accountable for the delivery / performance of the function. They manage staff and resources to deliver activities within their function including medium and longer term planning. They will also manage a delegated budget, determining resources required and actively influence efficiency.
Job holders within this Group Profile will be report to the Deputy Governor and be responsible for managing a function within an establishment which has been defined as complex, including management of all staff within the function.
The job holder will need to ensure that they implement robust systems to manage the function, as they will often be distanced from front-line duties and will need to delegate appropriately. They will be required to robustly apply national policies in their area and draft local policies accordingly.
These are operational prisoner facing roles.
This role could be based in London or Nationally.
Typical tasks associated with this Group Profile include:
- Act as the Governor's representative by chairing adjudications and taking charge of day-to-day establishment operations as Duty Governor
- Promote Prison Service policy in all activities and behaviours e.g. promote diversity, decency, safety and reducing re-offending agendas
- Review open Assessment Care in Custody teamwork (ACCT) as and when required in line with audit baselines
- Provide leadership and management of the Function. Will have the skills to apply all Human Resources (HR) related policies and practices and be able to carry out all aspects of people management such as Attendance Management, Disciplinary Investigations, Performance Management and Staff Appraisals
- Manage Prisoners Complaints Process within the Function
- Responsible for ensuring all litigation claims relevant to the area have been dealt with in accordance with policy
- Oversee the compilation and regular progress reporting of performance improvement programmes
- Manage the appropriate authorisation of Financial Compliance Statements
- Manage devolved budgets in accordance with the financial procedures outlined in the budget delegation
- Ensure that the Function produces and analyses audit and establishment performance management information identifying variances and areas requiring improvements
- Contribute to the establishment’s overall achievement of (SDIs) and standards and be accountable for the performance and delivery of targets relating to the budget; People Plan for the Function.
- Accountable for all local and national policies relating to the Function, and ensure procedures implemented are compliant, including the development of new policies
- Contribute to the development and delivery of the medium-to-long term strategic and business plan for the establishment, with overall responsibility for implementation within their Function
- Attend relevant boards/meetings and actively contribute either as chair or team member
- Responsible for ensuring the defined work areas and associated activities comply with Health and Safety legislation. Ensure all risk assessments are undertaken and staff are made aware of their personal responsibility towards Health and Safety compliance
- Contribute to the preparation of the establishment contingency and emergency plans and ensure implementation when required.
- Ensure the effective use of staff resources and the provision of training and annual leave opportunities
- Produce relevant reports as required and ensure that the response to all correspondence are within agreed timescales
- Carry out investigations and administration in relation to incidents of potential discrimination and report on findings
- Accountable for ensuring actions arising from Standard Audit, Her Majesty Inspectorate of Prisons (HMIP) Action Plans and Managing Quality of Prison Life (MQPL) surveys, including local self audit action plans and Resettlement strategies, are delivered
- Deliver and implement projects as directed by the Governor
- Actively encourage staff engagement within the Function to ensure objectives are met
Job Descriptions relating to this Group Profile
The role holder once in post will be in matched to a job description a sample list is attached below. The post is rotational so the job holder could during their career carry out the role of several job descriptions
- Head of Function Complex Standard : Business Development Enterprise
- Head of Function Complex Standard : Corporate Services
- Operational accreditation will be gained on successful completion of recruitment assessments and exams
- When transferring to a Young Persons establishment the job holder will be required to successfully undertake an assessment to demonstrate suitability to work with Young People
- Minimum of 3 years people management experience
Hours of Work and Allowances
37 hour week
Required Hours Allowance
This role requires regularly working unpredictable and unsocial hours and be on call to attend their place of work at anytime. A 17% payment will be paid in addition to your basic pay to recognise this. Unsocial hours are those hours outside 0700 - 1900hrs Monday to Friday
Applicants are asked to submit a CV and complete the following two questions:
Please provide an example of when you have demonstrated the following behaviours. This might be at work or somewhere else such as work experience, volunteering or in connection with a hobby. Your examples should not exceed 250 words.
- Communicating and Influencing
Further information about Civil Service Behaviours can be found at https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/717275/CS_Behaviours_2018.pdf
Working Arrangements & Further Information
Some of MoJ’s, including HMPPS, terms and conditions of service are changing as part of Civil Service reform. The changes will apply to staff joining MoJ who are new to the Civil Service. Staff joining MoJ from other civil service employers will transfer onto the new MoJ terms if they are already on 'modernised' terms in their current post or onto 'unmodernised' MoJ terms if they are on 'unmodernised' terms at their current post. Details will be available if an offer is made.
Standard working hours for this post are 37 hours per week excluding breaks which are unpaid.
If you are a current NPS employee, this vacancy may be available on a Loan basis for up to 2 years. Applications are invited from suitable qualified staff.
The Loan/Secondment is subject to the approval of the selected candidate's Business Unit, which should be obtained before confirmation of appointment.
-The holiday year runs from 1 March. If you work a non standard work pattern your leave entitlement may be expressed in either hours or days as appropriate. Leave entitlement is calculated on a pro-rata basis and you will be advised of your actual entitlement on appointment. If you were appointed internally and your leave was previously calculated in days, this will continue to be the case.
Bank, Public and Privilege Holidays
-You are entitled to 9 days (66 hours 36 minutes) in recognition of bank, public and privilege holidays. These hours are added to your annual leave allowance. There is a requirement to work some public and bank holidays subject to your shift pattern and the operational needs of the establishment
-The Civil Service offers a choice of two pension schemes, giving you the flexibility to choose the pension that suits you best.
Work Life Balance
-HM Prison & Probation Service (HMPPS) is keen to encourage alternative working arrangements. Work life balance provides greater opportunities for staff to work more flexibly wherever managers and establishments can accommodate requests to do so. HMPPS offers flexible working subject to completion of a satisfactory probationary period and NVQ
Season Ticket Advance
-After two months’ service, you’ll be eligible to apply for a season ticket advance to purchase a quarterly or longer-period season ticket for travel between home and your place of work
-HMPPS offers a childcare vouchers scheme. The scheme enables staff to take part of their salary in the form of Childcare Vouchers. This is known as a Salary Sacrifice. The vouchers can then be used to help meet the costs of any form of registered or approved childcare for children aged 0-16. The vouchers are exempt from tax and National Insurance contributions
-HMPPS is committed to staff development and offers a range of training and development opportunities, including areas such as Equality and Diversity, Dealing with Challenging Behaviour, Suicide Prevention and Anti Bullying Programmes
-There are opportunities to access promotion programmes and HMPPS provide a variety of training appropriate to individual posts
-All staff receive security and diversity training and an individual induction programme into their new roles
-All candidates are subject to security and identity checks prior to taking up post
-All external candidates are subject to 6 months probation. Internal candidates are subject to probation if they have not already served a probationary period within HMPPS
-All staff are required to declare whether they are a member of a group or organisation which HMPPS considers to be racist
Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission's recruitment principles.
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equality of opportunity.
There is a guaranteed interview scheme (GIS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
10/02/2019, 23:55 hours.
Closing Date: 10th February 2019 at 23.55 hours
If you require any assistance please call 0845 241 5358 (Monday to Friday 8am - 6pm) or e mail Mojemail@example.com. Please quote the job reference.
Success Profiles will enable a fairer and more inclusive method of recruitment by enabling us to assess the range of experiences, abilities, strengths, behaviours and technical/professional skills required for different roles. This flexible approach to recruitment focuses more on finding the right candidate for the specific role. To find out more about Success Profiles to support your application please click here for further guidance.
This Vacancy is closed to applications.