28540 - Learning & Development Consultant
The national salary will apply unless based in London
This position will form part of a nationally situated team; therefore, the successful applicant can be based at any of the HMCTS regional hubs in England and Wales. Regardless of base location, the successful applicant will be expected to work flexibly with occasional travel and overnight stay for meetings and events.
Duration: 18 Months, with scope to extend
It is an extremely exciting time to join Her Majesty’s Courts and Tribunals Service (HMCTS). We are currently undertaking a ‘once-in-a-lifetime’ transformation programme designed to deliver a pioneering justice system that is customer focused, digitally enabled and better serves the public.
As part of the HR People Capability and wider People and Culture Transformation team, you will be part of a learning team involved at the forefront of this change, working with a wide range of projects to ensure that our staff have the learning they need to deliver this new service.
If you can deliver in a dynamic, fast-paced environment that is constantly changing and want to make a real difference to society, then HMCTS is a great place to work.
Overview and purpose of the role
To deliver learning at the speed needed for this transformation, we have introduced a new team of Reform Learning Support Officers (RLSOs). This Learning and Development Consultant role has a pivotal leadership role in supporting and developing part of this team.
You will have responsibility for leading learning design, development and delivery work across multiple project and service teams, focused on assessing and addressing learning needs arising from changing / new services. You will provide expert learning and development direction to the team, oversee their work and coach them to build learning and development expertise in the team. You will build relationships and support senior project stakeholders across the Reform Programme to ensure that learning supports delivery of our new, improved service. You will work flexibly with other team leaders to ensure the Reform Learning end to end process is delivered including evaluation and iteration of learning products and reporting to programme management office on progress.
- Oversee all learning and development work for project and service teams within the programme(s) of work for which you have responsibility. This includes learning need analyses, design and delivery of high-quality learning (including e-learning, interactive learning products, face to face etc.)
- Engage with Programme Directors and key stakeholders to provide updates and understand future demand/ priorities.
- Use learning and development expertise to direct/support the team and support and guide project stakeholders.
- Contribute to and review learning materials for project and service teams within the programme(s) of work for which you have responsibility.
- Use learning and development expertise to recommend most effective design/delivery options.
- Collect, analyse and use feedback from recipients to improve products.
- Report on the achievement of milestones including flagging risks and issues.
Strategy / Approach
- Contribute to the wider People Capability strategy based on insight from your work and knowledge of current learning and development best practice.
- Identify trends in learning evaluation data to improve approach.
- Support technology experts to understand the learning needs for users of new technology and opportunities to build learning into technology.
- Managing a plan of work, updating activities and milestones as required.
- Identifying risks, possible mitigations and dependencies.
- Reporting to senior stakeholders and the central Programme Team
- Represent the wider team with stakeholders as required.
- Line management of Reform Learning Support Officers.
- Report to the People Capability Project Lead for Reform Learning
- Work flexibly and undertake other duties reasonably requested by line management in line with band.
Essential skills / experience required for the role
- Experience in designing, developing and implementing creative, innovative and effective learning solutions, across a diverse range of disciplines and delivery methods.
- Excellent leadership skills within a fast-paced, transformation environment.
- Ability to deliver results at pace.
- Extensive stakeholder management / customer relationship skills and experience.
- Excellent written, oral and numerical skills
- Strong influencing skills and the ability to motivate and deliver results through others.
- Project management skills/experience.
- Ability to interpret and understand complex information.
- Highly proficient in Microsoft Office suite and good knowledge of emerging digital technology.
- A learning and development or HR-related qualification / accreditation.
- Experience in transformational change.
To apply for this position, you will be assessed against the following four behaviours at Level 3 during the selection process:
Communicating & Influencing
Communicate in a straightforward, honest and engaging manner, choosing appropriate styles to maximise understanding and impact. Encourage the use of different communication methods, including digital resources and highlight the benefits, including ensuring cost effectiveness. Ensure communication has a clear purpose and takes into account people’s individual needs. Share information as appropriate and check understanding. Show positivity and enthusiasm towards work, encouraging others to do the same. Ensure that important messages are communicated with colleagues and stakeholders respectfully, taking into consideration the diversity of interests.
Encourage joined up team work within own team and across other groups. Establish professional relationships with a range of stakeholders. Collaborate with these to share information, resources and support. Invest time to develop a common focus and genuine positive team spirit where colleagues feel valued and respect one another. Put in place support for the wellbeing of individuals within the team, including consideration of your own needs. Make it clear to all team members that bullying, harassment and discrimination are unacceptable. Actively seek and consider input of people from diverse backgrounds and perspectives.
Managing a Quality Service:
Develop, implement, maintain and review systems and services to ensure delivery of professional excellence. Work with stakeholders to set priorities, objectives and timescales. Successfully deliver high quality outcomes that meet the customers’ needs and gives value for money. Identify risks and resolve issues efficiently. Involve a diverse range of colleagues, stakeholders and delivery partners in developing suggestions for improvements. Establish ways to find and respond to feedback from customers about the services provided.
Delivering at Pace:
Show a positive approach to keeping the whole team’s efforts focused on the top priorities. Promote a culture of following the appropriate procedures to ensure results are achieved on time whilst still enabling innovation. Ensure the most appropriate resources are available for colleagues to use to do their job effectively. Regularly monitor your own and team’s work against milestones ensuring individual needs are considered when setting tasks. Act promptly to reassess workloads and priorities when there are conflicting demands to maintain performance. Allow individuals the space and authority to meet objectives, providing additional support where necessary, whilst keeping overall responsibility.
Flexible working options
HMCTS offers a flexible working system in many of its offices.
Job sharing and reduced hours
All applications for job sharing or reduced hours will be treated fairly and on a case by case basis in accordance with the MoJ’s flexible working policy and equality policy.
Excess Fares and Relocation Allowances
This job is not eligible for relocation allowances but excess fares may be considered in accordance with MoJs excess fares allowance policy.
Working Arrangements & Further Information
Some of MoJ’s terms and conditions of service are changing as part of Civil Service reform. The changes will apply to staff joining MoJ who are new to the Civil Service. Staff joining MoJ from other civil service employers will transfer onto the new MoJ terms if they are already on 'modernised' terms in their current post or onto 'unmodernised' MoJ terms if they are on 'unmodernised' terms at their current post. Details will be available if an offer is made.
Flexible working hours
The Ministry of Justice offers a flexible working system in many offices.
The MoJ offers a range of benefits:
Generous allowances for paid holiday starting at 25 days per year, and rising as your service increases. There is also a scheme to allow qualifying staff to buy or sell up to three days leave each year. Additional paid time off for public holidays and 1 privilege day. Leave for part-time and job share posts will be calculated on a pro-rata basis.
The Civil Service offers a choice of pension schemes, giving you the flexibility to choose the pension that suits you best.
The Ministry of Justice is committed to staff development and offers an extensive range of training and development opportunities.
- A range of ‘Family Friendly’ policies such as opportunities to work reduced hours or job share.
- Access to flexible benefits such as voluntary benefits,retail vouchers and discounts on a range of goods and services.
- For any moves across the Civil Service may have implications on your ability to carry on claiming childcare vouchers
- Paid paternity, adoption and maternity leave.
- Free annual sight tests for employees who use computer screens.
The opportunity to join employee-run networks that have been established to provide advice and support and to enable the views of employees from minority groups to be expressed direct to senior management. There are currently networks for employees of minority ethnic origin, employees with disabilities, employees with caring responsibilities, women employees, and lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender employees.
Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission's recruitment principles.
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equality of opportunity.
There is a guaranteed interview scheme (GIS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
22/08/2019, 23:55 hours.
To apply for roles in MOJ you will need to confirm your employment history for at least 3 years prior to the date of application so that pre-employment checks (BPSS) can be undertaken. If you have spent significant time abroad (a total of 6 months in the past 3 years) you would be required to give a reasonable account of the reasons why.
For some roles you will be required to successfully complete National Security Vetting at Counter Terrorism (CTC), Security Clearance (SC) or Developed Vetting (DV) level as a condition of appointment. To meet CTC/SC/DV requirements you will normally need to have been resident in the UK for at least 3/5/10 years prior to the date of application (The level of checks that are required are stated in the advert).
If you do not meet the above requirements, you may still be considered if, for example:
- You've been serving overseas with HM Forces or in some other official capacity as a representative of HM Government
- You were studying abroad
- You were living overseas with parents
In such cases you will need to be able to provide referee cover for the period(s) of residence overseas. The duration of overseas residence and the country of abode will also be taken into account.
Success Profiles will enable a fairer and more inclusive method of recruitment by enabling us to assess the range of experiences, abilities, strengths, behaviours and technical/professional skills required for different roles. This flexible approach to recruitment focuses more on finding the right candidate for the specific role. To find out more about Success Profiles to support your application please click here for further guidance.
This Vacancy is closed to applications.