35649 - Prison Catering: Caterer/Chef - HMP Huntercombe
We welcome and encourage applications from everyone, including groups currently underrepresented in our workforce and pride ourselves as being an employer of choice. To find out more about how we champion diversity and inclusion in the workplace, visit: https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/ministry-of-justice/about/equality-and-diversity
As part of the catering team you will play a vital role in helping offenders to prepare and cook meals in a rewarding, team environment.
It is a great chance to put catering qualifications into real-life practice and have an impact far beyond the kitchen.
Your food will sustain a whole prison and your work with offenders will help to make a positive contribution towards their rehabilitation.
Overview of the job
This is a delivery role within an establishment requiring an appropriate trade
The job holder will be a Caterer by trade and will deliver catering services to prisoners within the establishment operating associated equipment in a safe and secure manner.
This is a non-operational job with no line management responsibilities.
Responsibilities, Activities and Duties
The job holder will be required to carry out the following responsibilities, activities and duties:
- Work with prisoners in the kitchens, supporting them to work in a safe and efficient manner, making sure that security is maintained
- Prepare and cook food, ensuring effective use of ingredients to reduce waste, providing catering for specialist diets on the grounds of religious beliefs and medical issues
- Prepare food order and other catering goods as required, for authorisation by managers; check in any deliveries for the kitchen and ensure stock rotation
- Co-ordinate resources, including food, ingredients and staff/prisoner workforce to deliver the day to day catering requirements of the establishment
- Serve food in the kitchen or hotplate areas; visit residential areas to check hygiene standards and food servery activity as required.
- Undertake food trolley delivery and collection, which may involve the use of a delivery vehicle
- Contribute to the review of catering practice in the kitchens consistency across the unit in the application of policies and procedures that affect prisoners and staff
- Ensure prisoners comply with relevant Health and Safety policies when carrying out duties within the kitchen
- Participate in the selection process of prisoners for kitchen duties
- Completes regime monitoring information and update prisoner training records
- Ensure all tools and equipment are safe, secure and properly accounted for and report maintenance and repair when required in line with Local Security Strategy and National Security Framework
- Assist in the delivery of training to prisoners
- Maintain regular communications via radio net in accordance with Local Security Strategy (LSS)
- Undertake regular tool checks in line with Local Security Strategy and National Security Framework
- Comply with all Food Safety; Health and Safety policies and legislation
- Rub down and pat down search prisoners as required by management
- Operate within command mode, in-line with local contingency plans
- Open and complete Assessment Care in Custody and Teamwork (ACCT) forms, Violence Reduction Incident Reports (VRIR) and Security Information Reports (SIRs) when required and contribute to Incentive Earned Privileges (IEP) reports
- Ensure all daily monitoring records that support food safety systems and procedures are completed
The duties/responsibilities listed above describe the post as it is at present and is not intended to be exhaustive. The Job holder is expected to accept reasonable alterations and additional tasks of a similar level that may be necessary. Significant adjustments may require re-examination under the Job Evaluation scheme and shall be discussed in the first instance with the Job Holder
Essential Skills/ Qualifications/Accreditation/Registration
Must have a Vocational Qualification at Level 3 or be willing to work towards gaining this qualification within an agreed timescale.
Jobholder must hold the following essential qualifications; level 2 certificate in Food Production within Hospitality and Catering or equivalent. Additionally they must hold a Food Hygiene Certificate Level 2, they are required be familiar with all current health, safety and hygiene related regulations for working in a kitchen. Must be able to demonstrate competency within an industrial kitchen environment. Refresher training in Food Safety (HACCP) should be completed at 3 year intervals.
An ability to fulfil all spoken aspects of the role with confidence through the medium of English or (where specified in Wales) Welsh
Hours of Work and Allowances
37 hour working week (standard).
NOMS Staff on closed pay structures only:
Additional Conditioned Hours Pensionable (ACHP)
Staff moving from a closed 39 hour pay structure will be eligible for the two protected pensionable additional committed hours (ACHP). They will work a 39 hour week consisting of the standard 37 hour week and a further 2 additional hours (ACHP) paid at plain time pensionable rate.
Unsocial Hours Working
This role requires working regular unsocial hours and a 17% payment will be paid to recognise this. Unsocial hours are those hours outside 0700 - 1900hrs Monday to Friday and include working evening, nights, weekends and Bank / Public holidays.
The salary figures quoted are for a 37 hour working week inclusive of a 17% unsocial hours working allowance.
Unsocial hours are those hours outside 0700 - 1900 Monday to Friday and include working evening, nights, weekends and Bank/Public holidays.
Successful applicants need to be 18 at the point they take up post as an exception under Schedule 9 of the Equality Act 2010.
Requests for part-time, job share, etc working arrangements will be considered, however any such arrangements will be subject to the business need/operational requirement. This can be discussed at your interview.
Working Arrangements & Further Information
Some of MoJ’s, including HMPPS, terms and conditions of service are changing as part of Civil Service reform. The changes will apply to staff joining MoJ who are new to the Civil Service. Staff joining MoJ from other civil service employers will transfer onto the new MoJ terms if they are already on 'modernised' terms in their current post or onto 'unmodernised' MoJ terms if they are on 'unmodernised' terms at their current post. Details will be available if an offer is made.
Standard working hours for this post are 37 hours per week excluding breaks which are unpaid.
If you are a current NPS employee, this vacancy may be available on a Loan basis for up to 2 years. Applications are invited from suitable qualified staff.
The Loan/Secondment is subject to the approval of the selected candidate's Business Unit, which should be obtained before confirmation of appointment.
Annual leave is 25 days on appointment and will increase to 30 days after five years’ service.
There is also a scheme to allow qualifying staff to buy or sell up to three days leave each year. Additional paid time off for public holidays and 1 privilege day. Leave for part-time and job share posts will be calculated on a pro-rata basis.
Bank, Public and Privilege Holidays
-You are entitled to 9 days (66 hours 36 minutes) in recognition of bank, public and privilege holidays. These hours are added to your annual leave allowance. There is a requirement to work some public and bank holidays subject to your shift pattern and the operational needs of the establishment
-The Civil Service offers a choice of two pension schemes, giving you the flexibility to choose the pension that suits you best.
Work Life Balance
HM Prison & Probation Service (HMPPS) is keen to encourage alternative working arrangements. Work life balance provides greater opportunities for staff to work more flexibly wherever managers and establishments can accommodate requests to do so. HMPPS offers flexible working subject to completion of a satisfactory probationary period and NVQ
Season Ticket Advance
-After two months’ service, you’ll be eligible to apply for a season ticket advance to purchase a quarterly or longer-period season ticket for travel between home and your place of work
For any moves across the Civil Service may have implications on your ability to carry on claiming childcare vouchers
HMPPS is committed to staff development and offers a range of training and development opportunities, including areas such as Equality and Diversity, Dealing with Challenging Behaviour, Suicide Prevention and Anti Bullying Programmes
-There are opportunities to access promotion programmes and HMPPS provides a variety of training appropriate to individual posts
-All staff receive security and diversity training and an individual induction programme into their new roles
-All candidates are subject to security and identity checks prior to taking up post
-All external candidates are subject to 6 months probation. Internal candidates are subject to probation if they have not already served a probationary period within HMPPS
-All staff are required to declare whether they are a member of a group or organisation which the HMPPS considers to be racist
Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission's recruitment principles.
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equality of opportunity.
There is a guaranteed interview scheme (GIS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
See HMPPS competency framework to learn more about the competencies we are looking for.
And you can download positive Competency writing samples for Band 2 and Band 3 applications.
07/08/2020, 23:55 hours.
Success Profiles will enable a fairer and more inclusive method of recruitment by enabling us to assess the range of experiences, abilities, strengths, behaviours and technical/professional skills required for different roles. This flexible approach to recruitment focuses more on finding the right candidate for the specific role. To find out more about Success Profiles to support your application please click here for further guidance.
This Vacancy is closed to applications.