43370 - Senior Operational Support Manager
We welcome and encourage applications from everyone, including groups currently underrepresented in our workforce and pride ourselves as being an employer of choice. To find out more about how we champion diversity and inclusion in the workplace, visit: https://www.gov.uk/government/organisations/ministry-of-justice/about/equality-and-diversity
Overview of the job
Working at the direction of the Head of Operational Function the post holder will be deployed to a variety of roles in order to provide strategic support.
To support the Head of LDU Cluster providing management and leadership within the National Probation Service (NPS) Local Delivery Unit (LDU).
To represent the Head of LDU Cluster with external agencies/stakeholders and staff as appropriate.
The post holder must adhere to all policies in respect of the sensitive/confidential nature of the information handled whilst working in this position.
May be required to participate in out of hours on call rota.
Responsibilities, Activities & Duties
Senior Operational Support Manager may be required to undertake any combination, or all, of the duties and responsibilities as directed by the Head of Operational Function as set out below. .
- Cluster operational lead on caseload segmentation issues such as Child Sexual Exploitation, Guns and Gangs, Integrated Offender Management etc.
- Operational support to the Head of Cluster within relevant Probation Instruction criteria and rules such as Recall, High Risk of Serious Harm Case Transfers, etc.
- Providing support to the Head of Cluster within the relevant Probation Instruction criteria and rules such as, grievance, discipline, capability, complaints, etc.
- Responsible for the professional development of cluster staff
- Responsible for developing and deploying the Cluster Training Needs Analysis
- Ensure effective cluster employee recruitment and induction
- Act as cluster lead for performance & quality
- Act as cluster lead for audits and inspections
- Operational support to the Head of Cluster in completing reviews and delivery of action plans such as Domestic Homicides, Serious Further Reviews, Serious Case Reviews, etc.
- Responsible for the management of the Business Manager and the administrative support functions within the cluster
- Under the guidance of the Head of LDU Cluster; represent the NPS in local strategic partnerships and ensure appropriate representation within wider partnership frameworks in line with statutory responsibilities and operational policy
- Participate in the Multi Agency Public Protection Arrangements (MAPPA) locally in conjunction with other responsible authorities including the chairing of MAPPA level 3 meetings
- In the absence of the Head of LDU Cluster to make decisions and provide advice on the management of offenders where senior management authorisation or involvement is necessary e.g. authorising the recall of offenders to prison
- Operational support to the Head of cluster in the management of complaints within the cluster and direct involvement in complaint resolution where necessary
- Under the guidance of the Head of LDU Cluster to take the lead on specific divisional or cluster projects/portfolios including Equality and Diversity, Reward and Recognition, etc.
- Operational support to the Head of cluster in cluster compliance with Health and Safety legislation.
- Senior Management responsibility for estates, buildings and maintenance activities within the cluster
- Demonstrate pro-social modelling skills by consistently reinforcing pro-social behaviour and attitudes and challenging anti-social behaviour and attitudes
- Carry out safeguarding children and safeguarding adult duties in accordance with the NPS statutory responsibilities and agency policies
- Work within the aims and values of NPS and HMPPS
The duties/responsibilities listed above describe the post at present and are not exhaustive. The job holder is expected to accept reasonable alteration sand additional tasks of a similar level that may be necessary. Significant adjustments may require re-examination under job evaluation and shall be discussed in the first instance with the job holder.
- Making Effective Decisions
- Working Together
- Delivering at Pace
- Communicating and Influencing
- Managing a Quality Service
- Changing and Improving
- Significant experience at middle manager level, including the management of staff
- Experience of monitoring performance in area of responsibility against predetermined targets, setting local targets and effecting necessary improvements
- Experience of budgetary control incl. procurement
- Experience of managing relationships incl. working with key local agencies and stakeholders
- Evidence of preparing high level written reports to a good standard
A qualification in one of the following areas:
- Probation Qualification Framework Graduate Diploma/Honours Degree in Community Justice integrated with Level 5 Diploma in Probation Practice.
- Or, a qualification which was recognised at the time of qualification by the Secretary of State for Justice as per Section 10 of the Offender Management Act 2007. The following qualifications gained in England and Wales were previously recognised as providing such eligibility:
- Diploma in Probation Studies
- Diploma in Social Work (with Probation Option)
- CQSW (with Probation Option)
Knowledge of the wider criminal justice system
This role is within the South Central Region. Shortlisted candidates will be interviewed over Microsoft Teams.
Working Arrangements & Further Information
Standard working hours are 37 hours per week excluding breaks which are unpaid.
The MoJ offers a range of benefits:
Annual leave is 25 days on appointment and will increase to 30 days after ten years’ service.
There is also a scheme to allow qualifying staff to buy or sell up to three days leave each year. Additional paid time off for public holidays and 1 privilege day. Leave for part-time and job share posts will be calculated on a pro-rata basis.
The National Probation Service is covered by the Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS) run through the Greater Manchester Pension Fund (GMPF). Please visit www.gmpf.org.uk for further information.
Please note: Any current Civil Servant who is a member of the PCSPS, by accepting an offer of employment to the National Probation Services will be opted out of the PCSPS and auto enrolled into the Local Government Pension Scheme.
The Ministry of Justice is committed to staff development and offers an extensive range of training and development opportunities.
- A range of ‘Family Friendly’ policies such as opportunities to work reduced hours or job share.
- Access to flexible benefits such as voluntary benefits, retail vouchers and discounts on a range of goods and services.
- For any moves across the Civil Service may have implications on your ability to carry on claiming childcare vouchers
- Paid paternity, adoption and maternity leave.
- Free annual sight tests for employees who use computer screens.
The opportunity to join employee-run networks that have been established to provide advice and support and to enable the views of employees from minority groups to be expressed direct to senior management. There are currently networks for employees of minority ethnic origin, employees with disabilities, employees with caring responsibilities, women employees, and lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender.
All candidates are subject to security and identity checks prior to taking up post
Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission's recruitment principles.
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equality of opportunity.
There is a guaranteed interview scheme (GIS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
11/05/2021, 23:55 hours.
Success Profiles will enable a fairer and more inclusive method of recruitment by enabling us to assess the range of experiences, abilities, strengths, behaviours and technical/professional skills required for different roles. This flexible approach to recruitment focuses more on finding the right candidate for the specific role. To find out more about Success Profiles to support your application please click here for further guidance.
This Vacancy is closed to applications.