43354 - Approved Premises - Diary Manager to Head of Public Protection - Midlands Division
We welcome and encourage applications from everyone, including groups currently underrepresented in our workforce and pride ourselves as being an employer of choice. To find out more about how we champion diversity and inclusion in the workplace, visit:
The base location for this role will be subject to negiotiation upon being successful. In addition you will need to have the ability to travel to meetings across the East and West Midlands.
For an informal discussion about the vacancy please contact Carolyn Bird on 07976 381852.
Overview of the job
This is an administrative role in NPS Midlands Approved Premises and reports to the Head of Operational Function.
The role is to provide secretarial and administrative support to the Deputy Director or Head of Operational Function by acting as the primary point of contact and assisting in the management of the day to day running of the division, function or cluster through the key tasks of diary coordination, compilation of correspondence and documents and the organisations of meetings and other engagements.
The job holder will have no line manager responsibilities
Responsibilities, Activities & Duties
The job holder will be required to carry out the following responsibilities, activities and duties:
Manage Deputy Director or Head of Operational Function’s Diary
- Supporting the Deputy Director or Head of Operational Function in meeting business requirements by supporting them to resolve conflicting demands in planning schedules
- Efficient maintenance of the Deputy Director or Head of Operational Function’s diary ensuring that time management is optimised
- Acting as the first point of contact for the Deputy Director or Head of Operational Function, using initiative and responding to and/or directing queries to the relevant parties
- Acting as a screening point for the Deputy Director or Head of Operational Function’s telephone calls, general correspondence and e-mails, highlighting priority work and responding to queries using an understanding of Probation service delivery and the partnership map
- Providing a full range of secretarial and administrative support and assistance to the Deputy Director or Head of Operational Function, producing a range of material from correspondence to complex confidential reports
- Developing and maintaining comprehensive and up-to-date electronic and manual filing systems which support the operational delivery of Probation services and are effective in storing and retrieving key data
- Support planning and finalising of agendas for meetings, overseeing co-ordination and distribution of paperwork
- Taking minutes at senior management meetings and distributing to relevant parties
- Liaising directly with internal and external colleagues and partners to deal with enquiries and to co-ordinate appointments and engagements
- Keeping up to date with changes in key external partnerships which relate to Probation service delivery
- Contributing towards the organisation and coordination of large scale divisional events
- Coordination and collation of meetings for internal and external attendees, booking rooms, arranging refreshments, preparing material, greeting visitors etc
- Dealing with highly sensitive issues, acting with diplomacy and maintaining strict confidentiality at all times
- Arranging business travel and accommodation for the Deputy Director or Head of Operational Function.
Use communication effectively
- Providing information, feedback and advice
- Influencing and persuading
- Participate in meetings where appropriate
- Using appropriate skills, styles and approaches
Enhance your own performance
- Manage own resources and professional development
Use information to take critical decisions
- Liaise with staff to receive, collate and analyse information, using systems and compiling reports as necessary
- Develop and utilise data to identify trends and take appropriate action to maintain and enhance performance
- Plan, implement and manage systems for the exchange of sensitive information, data and intelligence
The duties/responsibilities listed above describe the post as it is at present and is not intended to be exhaustive. The job holder is expected to accept reasonable alternations and additional tasks of a similar level that may be necessary. Significant adjustments may require re-examination under the Job Evaluation Scheme and shall be discussed in the first instance with the Job Holder.
An ability to fulfil all spoken aspects of the role with confidence through the medium of English or (where specified in Wales) Welsh.
The following behaviours from the Success Profiles Framework will be used for selection purposes:
- Working Together
- Delivering at Pace
- Making Effective Decisions
- Changing and Improving
- Experience of managing diary of a senior executive
- Experience of providing a wide range of management support activities
- NVQ Level 2 or equivalent in a relevant subject (or appropriate practical experience)
- IT Skills: Microsoft: Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint
Hours of Work
Working Arrangements & Further Information
Standard working hours are 37 hours per week excluding breaks which are unpaid.
The MoJ offers a range of benefits:
Annual leave is 25 days on appointment and will increase to 30 days after ten years’ service.
There is also a scheme to allow qualifying staff to buy or sell up to three days leave each year. Additional paid time off for public holidays and 1 privilege day. Leave for part-time and job share posts will be calculated on a pro-rata basis.
The National Probation Service is covered by the Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS) run through the Greater Manchester Pension Fund (GMPF). Please visit www.gmpf.org.uk for further information.
Please note: Any current Civil Servant who is a member of the PCSPS, by accepting an offer of employment to the National Probation Services will be opted out of the PCSPS and auto enrolled into the Local Government Pension Scheme.
The Ministry of Justice is committed to staff development and offers an extensive range of training and development opportunities.
· A range of ‘Family Friendly’ policies such as opportunities to work reduced hours or job share.
· Access to flexible benefits such as voluntary benefits, retail vouchers and discounts on a range of goods and services.
· For any moves across the Civil Service may have implications on your ability to carry on claiming childcare vouchers
· Paid paternity, adoption and maternity leave.
· Free annual sight tests for employees who use computer screens.
The opportunity to join employee-run networks that have been established to provide advice and support and to enable the views of employees from minority groups to be expressed direct to senior management. There are currently networks for employees of minority ethnic origin, employees with disabilities, employees with caring responsibilities, women employees, and lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender.
All candidates are subject to security and identity checks prior to taking up post
Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission's recruitment principles.
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equality of opportunity.
There is a guaranteed interview scheme (GIS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
17/05/2021, 23:55 hours.
If you require any assistance please call 0845 241 5358 (Monday to Friday 8am - 6pm) or email Mojemail@example.com.
Please quote the job reference: 43354
Success Profiles will enable a fairer and more inclusive method of recruitment by enabling us to assess the range of experiences, abilities, strengths, behaviours and technical/professional skills required for different roles. This flexible approach to recruitment focuses more on finding the right candidate for the specific role. To find out more about Success Profiles to support your application please click here for further guidance.
This Vacancy is closed to applications.