23452 - Business Administrator (BA)
Job holders within this Group Profile provide administrative support to managers and frontline staff by undertaking transactional work in a particular area.
The job holder is expected to be competent in their area of work, any specific qualifications or training required will be detailed in the relevant job description.
This is a non operational role which may involve contact with prisoners depending on their area of work.
This role has no line management responsibilities.
Typical tasks associated with this Group Profile include:
- Organise, produce and maintain accurate records for area of work
- Act as contact point for all communications to the team. Prioritise and distribute communications to the appropriate person or relevant department in establishment
- Complete monitoring returns for area of work
- Input requisitions on to the finance database and process requisitions for defined area of work
- Co-ordinate any awareness sessions for area of work
- Prepare paperwork for checking by manager, conducting initial checks as required
- Correspond with relevant stakeholders and agencies to ensure that they are aware of information so that information is adequately shared
- Maintain and check establishment databases, manual filing systems and logs of information, responding within agreed timescales and producing reports as required
- Collate information relating to relevant Service Delivery Indicators (SDI’s)
- Act as secretary to meetings as required including organising agenda, taking, distributing minutes and action points
Job Descriptions relating to this Group Profile
The job holder once in post will be in matched to a job description a sample list is attached below. The post is rotational so the job holder could during their career carry out the role of different job descriptions
- Business Administrator : Activity Hub
- Business Administrator : Business Hub
- Business Administrator : Equality
- Business Administrator : Estates
- Business Administrator : Management Coordinator
- Business Administrator : Offender Management Hub
- Business Administrator : People Hub
- Business Administrator : Programmes
- Business Administrator : Psychology
- Business Administrator : Safe Decent and Secure
- Business Administrator : Safer Custody
- Business Administrator : Security Intelligence Collator
- Business Administrator : Substance Misuse and Drug Strategy
- Business Administrator : Healthcare
- Business Administrator : Observation, Categorisation and Allocation (OCA)
- Business Administrator : Establishment Television Systems
- Business Administrator: Mobilisation, Transition and Transformation Administration Support
- Business Administrator: Regional Admin support Wales
- Business Administrator: Regional Estates Team
- Business Administrator: Safe Decent and Secure Benchmark
- Business Administrator: Equality Benchmark
- Business Administrator: Safer Custody Benchmark
- Business Administrator: Resettlement Worker Benchmark
- Business Administrator: OMU Benchmark
- Business Administrator: Regional Admin Support (North East)
- Business Administrator: Regime Development
All of the competencies in the National Offender Management Service (NOMS) Competency and Qualities Framework are relevant to this group profile. For the purpose of selection the following competencies will be measured:
- 2. Changing and Improving
- 4. Leading and Communicating
- 5. Collaborating and Partnering
- 9. Managing a Quality Service
- 10. Delivering at Pace
Hours of Work and Allowances
37 hour working week
Working Arrangements & Further Information
Some of MoJ’s, including HMPPS, terms and conditions of service are changing as part of Civil Service reform. The changes will apply to staff joining MoJ who are new to the Civil Service. Staff joining MoJ from other civil service employers will transfer onto the new MoJ terms if they are already on 'modernised' terms in their current post or onto 'unmodernised' MoJ terms if they are on 'unmodernised' terms at their current post. Details will be available if an offer is made.
Standard working hours for this post are 37 hours per week excluding breaks which are unpaid.
If you are a current NPS employee, this vacancy may be available on a Loan basis for up to 2 years. Applications are invited from suitable qualified staff.
The Loan/Secondment is subject to the approval of the selected candidate's Business Unit, which should be obtained before confirmation of appointment.
-The holiday year runs from 1 March. If you work a non standard work pattern your leave entitlement may be expressed in either hours or days as appropriate. Leave entitlement is calculated on a pro-rata basis and you will be advised of your actual entitlement on appointment. If you were appointed internally and your leave was previously calculated in days, this will continue to be the case.
Bank, Public and Privilege Holidays
-You are entitled to 9 days (66 hours 36 minutes) in recognition of bank, public and privilege holidays. These hours are added to your annual leave allowance. There is a requirement to work some public and bank holidays subject to your shift pattern and the operational needs of the establishment
-The Civil Service offers a choice of two pension schemes, giving you the flexibility to choose the pension that suits you best.
Work Life Balance
HM Prison & Probation Service (HMPPS) is keen to encourage alternative working arrangements. Work life balance provides greater opportunities for staff to work more flexibly wherever managers and establishments can accommodate requests to do so. HMPPS offers flexible working subject to completion of a satisfactory probationary period and NVQ
Season Ticket Advance
-After two months’ service, you’ll be eligible to apply for a season ticket advance to purchase a quarterly or longer-period season ticket for travel between home and your place of work
HMPPS offers a childcare vouchers scheme. The scheme enables staff to take part of their salary in the form of Childcare Vouchers. This is known as a Salary Sacrifice. The vouchers can then be used to help meet the costs of any form of registered or approved childcare for children aged 0-16. The vouchers are exempt from tax and National Insurance contributions
HMPPS is committed to staff development and offers a range of training and development opportunities, including areas such as Equality and Diversity, Dealing with Challenging Behaviour, Suicide Prevention and Anti Bullying Programmes
-There are opportunities to access promotion programmes and HMPPS provides a variety of training appropriate to individual posts
-All staff receive security and diversity training and an individual induction programme into their new roles
-All candidates are subject to security and identity checks prior to taking up post
-All external candidates are subject to 6 months probation. Internal candidates are subject to probation if they have not already served a probationary period within HMPPS
-All staff are required to declare whether they are a member of a group or organisation which the HMPPS considers to be racist
Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission's recruitment principles.
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equality of opportunity.
There is a guaranteed interview scheme (GIS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
See HMPPS competency framework to learn more about the competencies we are looking for.
And you can download positive Competency writing samples for Band 2 and Band 3 applications.
18/01/2019, 23:55 hours.
Closing Date: 18th January 2019 at 23:55
If you require any assistance please call 0845 241 5358 (Monday to Friday 8am - 6pm) or e mail Mojfirstname.lastname@example.org. Please quote the job reference 23452.
You may be required to provide statements describing your skills and experience relevant to each of the selection criteria. We recommend that you structure any examples as Situation, Task, Action and Result. For more information about the recruitment process and answers to general queries, please click the below link which will direct you to our Candidate Information Page.
In the event of a large number of applications, we reserve the right to undertake the following processes:
- An automated online test where a benchmark must be passed to progress;
- A sift on the lead selection criteria. If this happens, the lead criteria will be the first one listed in the advert.
During the selection process, you may be asked to undertake an additional assessment (such as written test). If this is applicable you will be notified of this when you are invited to interview.
Good computer skills including Excel.
This Vacancy is closed to applications.