24023 - PA to Commercial Deputy Director
At the Ministry of Justice, we aim to lead the way across government in achieving the highest level of performance against government commercial standards. We support some of the most innovative commercial work in government and the Commercial and Contract Management Directorate’s (CCMD) work is crucial to the successful delivery of the £1.3bn prison reform and £700m court reform programmes.
We are looking to appoint Personal Assistant to work to two of our Deputy Director’s (DD’s). The successful candidate should have the ability to plan and prioritise his / her workload, and work calmly under pressure. They should also have excellent organisation skills, communication skills with the ability to engage with a wide range of internal and external stakeholders at all levels.
Key aspects of the role: -
- Managing the DD’s emails and diary – ensuring, that any scheduling conflicts are resolved immediately.
- Ensure DD is fully briefed and has relevant documents in advance of all meetings.
- Arrange meetings and leading on logistics for meetings - including room bookings and invitations, circulation and filing of papers / minutes.
- Manage all travel bookings.
- Accompanying the DD to meetings to take minutes/action points, and follow up any actions as required.
- Directing and assigning work appropriately, including commissioning action such as drafting, updates and briefings etc.
- Work with other PAs and Business Managers within CCMD to provide efficient support to the Senior Management Team.
The duties/responsibilities listed above is not intended to be exhaustive – the Jobholder is expected to accept reasonable alterations and additional tasks suitable to the role.
Skills and personal attributes
- Experience working as a diary secretary would be an advantage.
- Strong interpersonal, communication and teamworking skills.
- Evidence of working collaboratively with senior management across the business and organisations.
- Strong IT skills (i.e. the ability to work confidently in Word, PowerPoint, Excel and Outlook).
Most importantly we are looking for someone with the right personal qualities – enthusiasm, energy, proactive, team player who is also able to work under their own initiative and to be flexible and adaptable in a demanding environment.
Leading and communicating
- Put forward own views in a clear and constructive manner, choosing an appropriate communication method, e.g. email/telephone/face to face
- Write clearly in plain simple language and check work for spelling and grammar, learning from previous inaccuracies
- Display enthusiasm around goals and activities – adopting a positive approach when interacting with others
Collaborating and partnering
- Proactively contribute to the work of the whole team
- Try to see issues from others’ perspectives and check understanding
Delivering at pace
- Work in an organised manner using own knowledge and expertise to deliver on time and to standard
- Take responsibility for the quality of own work and keep manager informed of how work is progressing
For selection purpose, the following competencies will be measured at the interview:
- Leading and Communicating
- Collaborating and Partnering
- Delivering at Pace
Working Arrangements & Further Information
Some of MoJ’s terms and conditions of service are changing as part of Civil Service reform. The changes will apply to staff joining MoJ who are new to the Civil Service. Staff joining MoJ from other civil service employers will transfer onto the new MoJ terms if they are already on 'modernised' terms in their current post or onto 'unmodernised' MoJ terms if they are on 'unmodernised' terms at their current post. Details will be available if an offer is made.
Flexible working hours
The Ministry of Justice offers a flexible working system in many offices.
The MoJ offers a range of benefits:
Generous allowances for paid holiday starting at 25 days per year, and rising as your service increases. There is also a scheme to allow qualifying staff to buy or sell up to three days leave each year. Additional paid time off for public holidays and 1 privilege day. Leave for part-time and job share posts will be calculated on a pro-rata basis.
The Civil Service offers a choice of pension schemes, giving you the flexibility to choose the pension that suits you best.
The Ministry of Justice is committed to staff development and offers an extensive range of training and development opportunities.
- A range of ‘Family Friendly’ policies such as opportunities to work reduced hours or job share.
- Access to flexible benefits such as salary sacrifice arrangements for childcare vouchers, and voluntary benefits such as retail vouchers and discounts on a range of goods and services.
- Paid paternity, adoption and maternity leave.
- Free annual sight tests for employees who use computer screens.
The opportunity to join employee-run networks that have been established to provide advice and support and to enable the views of employees from minority groups to be expressed direct to senior management. There are currently networks for employees of minority ethnic origin, employees with disabilities, employees with caring responsibilities, women employees, and lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender employees.
Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission's recruitment principles.
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equality of opportunity.
There is a guaranteed interview scheme (GIS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
Staff on fixed term appointments must have been recruited through fair and open competition.
22/02/2019, 23:55 hours.
Closing Date: 22nd February 2019 at 23:55 hours
If you require any assistance please call 0845 241 5359 (Monday to Friday 8am - 6pm) or e mail Mojfirstname.lastname@example.org Please quote the job reference 24023.
To apply for roles in MOJ you will need to confirm your employment history for at least 3 years prior to the date of application so that pre-employment checks (BPSS) can be undertaken. If you have spent significant time abroad (a total of 6 months in the past 3 years) you would be required to give a reasonable account of the reasons why.
For some roles you will be required to successfully complete National Security Vetting at Counter Terrorism (CTC), Security Clearance (SC) or Developed Vetting (DV) level as a condition of appointment. To meet CTC/SC/DV requirements you will normally need to have been resident in the UK for at least 3/5/10 years prior to the date of application (The level of checks that are required are stated in the advert).
If you do not meet the above requirements, you may still be considered if, for example:
- You've been serving overseas with HM Forces or in some other official capacity as a representative of HM Government
- You were studying abroad
- You were living overseas with parents
In such cases you will need to be able to provide referee cover for the period(s) of residence overseas. The duration of overseas residence and the country of abode will also be taken into account.
You may be required to provide statements describing your skills and experience relevant to each of the selection criteria. We recommend that you structure any examples as Situation, Task, Action and Result. For more information about the recruitment process and answers to general queries, please click the below link which will direct you to our Candidate Information Page.
In the event of a large number of applications, we reserve the right to undertake the following processes:
- An automated online test where a benchmark must be passed to progress;
- A sift on the lead selection criteria. If this happens, the lead criteria will be the first one listed in the advert.
During the selection process, you may be asked to undertake an additional assessment (such as written test). If this is applicable you will be notified of this when you are invited to interview.
This Vacancy is closed to applications.