24190 - Digital Investigation Analyst
Requirement to work on-call at least 1 week in 5. On-call payments and overtime are available.
Overview of the job
The Security Order and Counter Terrorism Directorate (SOCT) exists to support HMPPS in its mission to prevent victims by changing lives. We do this by creating conditions for a firm, stable and secure base on which decent regimes, relationships and rehabilitation can be built. To keep prisons, probation and youth custody services lawful, safe and secure. By managing risks and threats.
This role will focus on investigation, analysis and interpretation of intelligence located on the internet and social media, and the acquisition and analysis of communications data acquired under RIPA part 1 Chapter 2. The job holder will work as part of the Digital Investigation Unit.
Working as part of the Digital investigation Unit, the successful applicant will be responsible for the comprehensive analysis of digital content located on the internet and compiling detailed analytical reports of the outcome to feed into other teams. The individual will be responsible end-to-end for the acquisition and analysis of communications data.
Responsibilities, Activities & Duties
The job holder will be required to carry out the following responsibilities, activities and duties:
- End-to-end management of the Digital Vetting process within the Digital Investigation unit.
- Acting as a point of contact for knowledge and advice for applicants and ensuring compliance with RIPA legislation. Providing on-call provision as part of the Digital investigation Unit out of normal working hours.
- Co-ordinating the production of intelligence packs and assisting as SME with further interpretation, analysis and development as required.
- The submission of requests for communications data to Call Service Providers (CSPs), ensuring that data is acquired and records kept in accordance with DIU processes and RIPA legislation.
- Assisting as part of the Digital Investigation unit with the management of incidents involving prisoner use of the internet.
- Making representations to court as required.
- Liaise and build relationships with Vetting, Approvals, Key threats Team, Corruption prevention Unit and Law Enforcement agencies ensuring as SME, an awareness of changes in the Digital world.
- The composition of evidence into formal and detailed reports to enable partners to make informed decisions around an individual's sustainability for NOMS employment.
- Assisting key stakeholders with the progression of Digital Vetting policy and exploring ways in which the broadest and most comprehensive approach can be pursued.
- Process and analyse intelligence received through the Crimestoppers initiative, identifying the appropriate recipients for the information, and disseminating the information in line with NOMS policies on information handling.
- Compilation and delivery of marketing and awareness sessions to the field.
- Work as an accredited SPOC as per Part 1 Chapter 2 of Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000 (RIPA), Liaising with applicants for communications data, advising the designated person around the legality of data acquisitions on a case by case basis
- Work on-call when required, outside of normal office hours as part of the Digital investigation Unit and of the NOMS national incident management structure.
- Make representations to court relating to the acquisition of communications data or other digital evidence as required.
The duties/responsibilities listed above describe the post as it is at present and is not intended to be exhaustive. The Job holder is expected to accept reasonable alterations and additional tasks of a similar level that may be necessary. Significant adjustments may require re-examination under the Job Evaluation scheme and shall be discussed in the first instance with the Job Holder.
For the purpose of selection the following competencies will be measured:
- Acting with Integrity
- Collaborating and Partnering
- Showing Drive and Resilience
- Changing & Improving
- Delivering at Pace
- Making Effective decisions
Essential Skills Qualifications, accreditation & Registration
The job may need to be trained as an accredited SPOC as per Part 1 Chapter 2 of Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000 (RIPA).
Oncall allowance and overtime.
This post may be eligible for allowances which are to be discussed at interview’
A full-time permanent position within a highly respected team with a real focus on the professional development of staff. Seconment may be consired for the right applicant.
Working Arrangements & Further Information
Some of MoJ’s, including HMPPS, terms and conditions of service are changing as part of Civil Service reform. The changes will apply to staff joining MoJ who are new to the Civil Service. Staff joining MoJ from other civil service employers will transfer onto the new MoJ terms if they are already on 'modernised' terms in their current post or onto 'unmodernised' MoJ terms if they are on 'unmodernised' terms at their current post. Details will be available if an offer is made.
Standard working hours for this post are 37 hours per week excluding breaks which are unpaid.
If you are a current NPS employee, this vacancy may be available on a Loan basis for up to 2 years. Applications are invited from suitable qualified staff.
The Loan/Secondment is subject to the approval of the selected candidate's Business Unit, which should be obtained before confirmation of appointment.
-The holiday year runs from 1 March. If you work a non standard work pattern your leave entitlement may be expressed in either hours or days as appropriate. Leave entitlement is calculated on a pro-rata basis and you will be advised of your actual entitlement on appointment. If you were appointed internally and your leave was previously calculated in days, this will continue to be the case.
Bank, Public and Privilege Holidays
-You are entitled to 9 days (66 hours 36 minutes) in recognition of bank, public and privilege holidays. These hours are added to your annual leave allowance. There is a requirement to work some public and bank holidays subject to your shift pattern and the operational needs of the establishment
-The Civil Service offers a choice of two pension schemes, giving you the flexibility to choose the pension that suits you best.
Work Life Balance
-HM Prison & Probation Service (HMPPS) is keen to encourage alternative working arrangements. Work life balance provides greater opportunities for staff to work more flexibly wherever managers and establishments can accommodate requests to do so. HMPPS offers flexible working subject to completion of a satisfactory probationary period and NVQ
Season Ticket Advance
-After two months’ service, you’ll be eligible to apply for a season ticket advance to purchase a quarterly or longer-period season ticket for travel between home and your place of work
-HMPPS offers a childcare vouchers scheme. The scheme enables staff to take part of their salary in the form of Childcare Vouchers. This is known as a Salary Sacrifice. The vouchers can then be used to help meet the costs of any form of registered or approved childcare for children aged 0-16. The vouchers are exempt from tax and National Insurance contributions
-HMPPS is committed to staff development and offers a range of training and development opportunities, including areas such as Equality and Diversity, Dealing with Challenging Behaviour, Suicide Prevention and Anti Bullying Programmes
-There are opportunities to access promotion programmes and HMPPS provide a variety of training appropriate to individual posts
-All staff receive security and diversity training and an individual induction programme into their new roles
-All candidates are subject to security and identity checks prior to taking up post
-All external candidates are subject to 6 months probation. Internal candidates are subject to probation if they have not already served a probationary period within HMPPS
-All staff are required to declare whether they are a member of a group or organisation which HMPPS considers to be racist
Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission's recruitment principles.
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equality of opportunity.
There is a guaranteed interview scheme (GIS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
20/02/2019, 23:55 hours.
Closing Date: 20th February 2019 at 23:55 hours
If you require any assistance please call 0845 241 5358 (Monday to Friday 8am - 6pm) or e mail Mojemail@example.com. Please quote the job reference.
You may be required to provide statements describing your skills and experience relevant to each of the selection criteria. We recommend that you structure any examples as Situation, Task, Action and Result. For more information about the recruitment process and answers to general queries, please click the below link which will direct you to our Candidate Information Page.
In the event of a large number of applications, we reserve the right to undertake the following processes:
- An automated online test where a benchmark must be passed to progress;
- A sift on the lead selection criteria. If this happens, the lead criteria will be the first one listed in the advert.
During the selection process, you may be asked to undertake an additional assessment (such as written test). If this is applicable you will be notified of this when you are invited to interview.
Effectiveness in this area is about being consistently motivated, committed and able to perform duties in all situations. People who are effective maintain a personal conviction when faced with resistance. Those who work in establishment must retain a professional approach when confronted by aggression and strong emotion from prisoners. At senior levels, it is about remaining focussed on achieving objectives in the face of resistance, organisational constraints or unforeseen problems.
This Vacancy is closed to applications.