Operational Support Grade
Overview of the job
This is a support services operations job in an establishment.
The job holder will carry out a range of activities across key areas of the establishment including gate procedures, visitor checks and monitoring, censorship of mail and telephones and reception duties. They will also be flexibly deployed to provide a range of other support service activities within operational areas of an establishment when required.
This is an operational support job with no line management responsibilities.
Responsibilities, Activities and Duties
The job holder will be required to carry out the following responsibilities, activities and duties:
• Gate/Portal duties: ensuring the secure entry and exit of staff, visitors/vehicles; carry out searches of staff, prisoners, visitors, contractors and vehicles. Issue and collect staff keys / radios
• Contractor Escorts: be responsible for identifying and escorting vehicles and contractors within the establishment
• Emergency Control Room/Control Room: operate the establishment radio system and monitor Closed Circuit Television (CCTV) ensuring all suspicious activities are reported and ensure personal actions are compliant with Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act (RIPA). May be required to train staff in radio procedures
• Visits: book visits; identify and process visitors on their arrival, escorting them if required; ensure all visitors both domestic and official are appropriately searched and their details are collated
• Censors/Correspondence: monitor/log mail and report any illicit or contraband items, maintaining the preservation of evidence
• Monitor phone calls made by prisoners
• Night Duties: ensure cell doors are locked/secure and all prisoners are safely accounted for
• Reception: assist in supporting appropriate tasks within reception ensuring that any prisoner queries and property are processed appropriately; Photograph prisoners; Collate all relevant documentation for the Reception/Property process; Search/x-ray incoming prisoner property and parcels accepted in Reception; Receive items for prisoners and check all seals are intact on property storage
• Prisoner supervision: supervise prisoners as required; undertake prisoner clothing/property exchange and assist officers with free flow movement and the receiving of prisoners when required
• Food delivery: undertake food trolley delivery and collection, which may involve the use of an electric tug vehicle
• Driver: Transport prisoners and their escorts to their destination in the cellular vehicle where applicable; Collect mail from local sorting office
• Monitor the prisoners Personal Identification Number (PIN) Phone system maintaining the log of PIN Phone requests from prisoners; Complete all relevant paperwork keeping an audit trail of conversations
• Complete Security Incident Reports (SIR) for intelligence gained from monitoring phone calls or illicit / contraband items found
• Check that any legal numbers are registered solicitors Undertake other support services tasks including:
• Understand, apply and conform to national and local polices
• Respond appropriately to invoke emergency procedures in line with Local Security Strategy (LSS) and National Security Framework (NSF), utilising knowledge of local contingency plans and the actions required in relation to incidents. Any initial decisions or actions will need to be referred to management for further action.
• Undertake administrative duties relating to area of work as required
The duties/responsibilities listed above describe the post as it is at present and is not intended to be exhaustive. The Job holder is expected to accept reasonable alterations and additional tasks of a similar level that may be necessary. Significant adjustments may require re-examination under the Job Evaluation scheme and shall be discussed in the first instance with the Job Holder
All of the competencies in the National Offender Management Service (NOMS) Competency and Qualities Framework are relevant to this group profile. For the purpose of selection the following competencies will be measured:
- Showing Drive and Resilience
- Managing a Quality Service
- Collaborating and Partnering
All candidates are subject to security and identity checks prior to taking up post
All external candidates are subject to 6 months probation. Internal candidates are subject to probation if they have not already served a probation period within
All staff are required to declare whether they are a member of a group or organisation which the Prison Service considers to be racist
Essential Skills/ Qualifications/ Accreditation/ Registration
• Required to undertake a 2 week OSG induction
• Must hold a valid driving licence if there will be a local requirement to drive vehicles. Driving and navigating is an appropriate OSG duty as defined in PSI42/1997, Operational Support Grade: Schedule 3
Hours of Work and Allowances
37 hour working week (standard).
NOMS Staff on closed pay structures only:
Additional Conditioned Hours Pensionable (ACHP)
Staff moving from a closed 39 hour pay structure will be eligible for the two protected pensionable additional committed hours (ACHP). They will work a 39 hour week consisting of the standard 37 hour week and a further 2 additional hours (ACHP) paid at plain time pensionable rate.
11/10/2017, 08:25 hours.
You may be required to provide statements describing your skills and experience relevant to each of the selection criteria. We recommend that you structure any examples as Situation, Task, Action and Result. For more information about the recruitment process and answers to general queries, please click the below link which will direct you to our Candidate Information Page.
In the event of a large number of applications, we reserve the right to undertake the following processes:
- An automated online test where a benchmark must be passed to progress;
- A sift on the lead selection criteria. If this happens, the lead criteria will be the first one listed in the advert.
During the selection process, you may be asked to undertake an additional assessment (such as written test). If this is applicable you will be notified of this when you are invited to interview.
This Vacancy is closed to applications.