25017 - SCA Norwich
Overview of the job
This is a co-ordination and senior administrative role in the Divisional office, Function / Cluster local offices.
The jobholder will provide corporate support office-based activities to support the work of the Divisional and operational teams.
The jobholder acts as an interface between the Hub Manager, Business Manager and colleagues and other partners on a wide range of issues.
The job holder will report to the Hub Manager in Divisional offices and Business Manager in Function or Cluster offices and will have line management responsibilities for Administrative Assistants, Case Administrators and other administrative staff
The purpose of the role is to ensure efficient and effective business support and operational administrative services are provided to the Division, Function or Cluster.
The jobholder will support the Business Manager to ensure effective compliance with Health, Safety and Fire Regulations, acting as Single Point of Contact / Estates Liaison Officer for the buildings from which they operate.
In line with NPS policies and procedures, the job holder must at all times
demonstrate a commitment to equality and inclusion and an understanding of their relevance to the work they do.
The post holder must adhere to all policies in respect of the sensitive/confidential nature of the information handled whilst working in this position.
Responsibilities,Activities and Duties
The job holder will be required to carry out the following responsibilities, activities and duties:
- Development and implementation of business administration systems, databases and recording systems to support operational probation delivery.
- Preparation and collation of a range of documentation for a variety of purposes to support effective divisional, functional or cluster business activity and operational probation delivery
- Maintenance of ( or supporting the relevant Business Manager to maintain) Divisional, functional or cluster Registers such as Serious Further Offences, Freedom of Information, Accidents, Complaints, inputting data, monitoring agreed probation processes and ensuring completion in specified timescales
- Collection and distribution of monies to/from Imprest, and maintenance of related records.
- Act as Vetting Contact Point for the relevant division, function or cluster
- Monitor Travel Warrants, Bus passes, cheque book requests and assist with Purchase Orders where required, and within the agreed procurement arrangements
- Attend meetings and events to represent the relevant Business Manager as agreed from time to time
Health, Safety & Fire
- Ensure the timely reporting of problems, including repairs, defects and security issues with the building(s) to facilities contractors and maintain progress to reach satisfactory conclusions and ensure equipment is in good working order.
- Undertake and co-ordinate health and safety risk assessments, fire drills and ergonomic assessments at the relevant sites, or ensure they are undertaken. Reporting issues locally and to the Divisional HS&F Manager. Maintaining registers and coordinating training.
- Act as Cardinus Assessor, First Aider and Fire Warden and take forward actions to deal with local issues arising from incidents and DSE Assessments, or ensure that there are sufficient people able to undertake these roles at the relevant sites.
Effectively Manage and Develop staff
- To provide effective management and leadership to the team
- To proactively manage staff development, issues of underperformance, attendance, health and safety, employee relations and diversity matters. Adopt a consistent, fair and objective stand point when making decisions in relation to individual staff issues
- Contribute to relevant training and development events as a trainer
- Support recruitment activity for relevant posts within the cluster/division
Use communication effectively
- Write reports to support the effective operation of the Division/Cluster/Function
- Participate in meetings where appropriate, using appropriate skills, styles and approaches
- Contribute to the management of the Division/Cluster/Function
Enhance your own performance
- Manage own resources and take responsibility for own professional development
Use information to take critical decisions
- Liaise with staff to receive, collate and analyse information, developing systems and compiling reports as necessary . Using data to identify trends and taking appropriate action to maintain and enhance performance.
- Ensure that all reasonable precautions are taken towards the maintenance, security and confidentiality of written and electronically stored material, in line with the requirements of the Data Protection Act and Information Security Policies and Procedures.
- To ensure that all team resources, , are deployed cost effectively and provide best value
- Undertake (or support locally if the role is held divisionally) the Knowledge and Information Liaison Officer role offering advice and guidance to OMs in completing such requests and work with Data Access Compliance Unit to complete responses. Acting as Record Retrieval Requestor in line with divisional, function or cluster arrangements.
- Demonstrate pro-social modelling skills by consistently reinforcing prosocial behaviour and attitudes and challenging anti-social behaviour and attitudes
- To work within the aims and values of NPS and NOMS
The duties/responsibilities listed above describe the post as it is at present and is not intended to be exhaustive. The job holder is expected to accept reasonable alternations and additional tasks of a similar level that may be necessary. Significant adjustments may require re-examination under the Job Evaluation scheme and shall be discussed in the first instance with the Job Holder.
The following competencies from the Civil Service Competency Framework will be used for selection purposes:
- Changing and improving
- Making effective decisions
- Delivering at pace
- Managing a quality service
- Building Capability for all
An ability to fulfil all spoken aspects of the role with confidence through the medium of English or (where specified in Wales) Welsh
- NVQ Level 2 or equivalent,
- GCSE Grade A-C in English and Maths (or equivalent)
- RSA III (gained or working towards) or equivalent qualification such as CLAIT Advanced
- Microsoft: Word, Excel,Outlook, and PowerPoint (or equivalent i.e. Lotus Notes)
- Demonstrate previous administration experience, and experience of providing a wide range of ,management support activities
- Evidence of providing support and assistance to colleagues in delivering a quality service.
- Demonstrate experience of effective communications,
- Demonstrate experience of making successful critical decisions
- Operational experience of working in a Probation setting
- Evidence of having provided coaching or mentoring to others
Working Arrangements & Further Information
Standard working hours are 37 hours per week excluding breaks which are unpaid.
The MoJ offers a range of benefits:
Generous allowances for paid holiday starting at 25 days per year, and rising as your service increases. Additional paid time off for public holidays and 1 privilege day. Leave for part-time and job share posts will be calculated on a pro-rata basis.
The National Probation Service is covered by the Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS) run through the Greater Manchester Pension Fund (GMPF). Please visit www.gmpf.org.uk for further information.
Please note: Any current Civil Servant who is a member of the PCSPS, by accepting an offer of employment to the National Probation Services will be opted out of the PCSPS and auto enrolled into the Local Government Pension Scheme.
The Ministry of Justice is committed to staff development and offers an extensive range of training and development opportunities.
- A range of ‘Family Friendly’ policies such as opportunities to work reduced hours or job share.
- Access to flexible benefits such as salary sacrifice arrangements for childcare vouchers, and voluntary benefits such as retail vouchers and discounts on a range of goods and services.
- Paid paternity, adoption and maternity leave.
- Free annual sight tests for employees who use computer screens.
The opportunity to join employee-run networks that have been established to provide advice and support and to enable the views of employees from minority groups to be expressed direct to senior management. There are currently networks for employees of minority ethnic origin, employees with disabilities, employees with caring responsibilities, women employees, and lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender.
All candidates are subject to security and identity checks prior to taking up post
Working for the Civil Service
The Civil Service Code sets out the standards of behaviour expected of civil servants.
We recruit by merit on the basis of fair and open competition, as outlined in the Civil Service Commission's recruitment principles.
The Civil Service embraces diversity and promotes equality of opportunity.
There is a guaranteed interview scheme (GIS) for candidates with disabilities who meet the minimum selection criteria.
03/04/2019, 23:55 hours.
Closing Date: 3rd April 2019 at 23:55
If you require any assistance please call 0845 241 5358 (Monday to Friday 8am - 6pm) or e mail email@example.com Please quote job reference 25017
You may be required to provide statements describing your skills and experience relevant to each of the selection criteria. We recommend that you structure any examples as Situation, Task, Action and Result. For more information about the recruitment process and answers to general queries, please click the below link which will direct you to our Candidate Information Page.
In the event of a large number of applications, we reserve the right to undertake the following processes:
- An automated online test where a benchmark must be passed to progress;
- A sift on the lead selection criteria. If this happens, the lead criteria will be the first one listed in the advert.
During the selection process, you may be asked to undertake an additional assessment (such as written test). If this is applicable you will be notified of this when you are invited to interview.
This Vacancy is closed to applications.